The Philadelphia Confession of Faith
On September 25, 1742, “the elders and messengers of the baptized [Baptist] congregations in Pennsylvania and the Jerseys, met in Association at Philadelphia.” In that meeting “a motion was made in the Association for reprinting the confession of faith set forth by the elders of baptized congregations [that] met in London, AD 1689, with a short treatise of church discipline, to be annexed to the confession of faith.” The articles were then to be printed by Benjamin Franklin in 1743. This confession was the standard for American Baptist Churches until the middle of the nineteenth century when the churches adopted the shorter New Hampshire Confession of Faith.
Links in this category: 1
Bookmark and share this category: