Introduction: Defining Regeneration. Regeneration includes:
1. The laws of the gospel of the kingdom written in the heart and mind
2. The death of the believer to sin
3. The believer’s spirit partakes of the divine nature
4. The remission of sins
5. The imputation of the righteousness of Christ
6. The gift of eternal life
7. The gift of the Holy Spirit to:
b. Guide the mind into all the ways of gospel truth
c. Lead the new born into obedience to God
All of this is implied in “born again”, “born of the Spirit”, “born of God”
All is required by the law of Jesus Christ, as revealed in the gospel of the
Kingdom, as preparation for entrance into His Church Kingdom.
I. WHAT REGENERATION IS NOT
a. Religion is Not the new birth; religion is what we do, God gives salvation
b. Culture, education, and civilization are Not the new birth
c. Morality is Not the new birth; the straitest sect of the Pharisees
d. Membership in a religious group, of the synagogue, is Not the new birth
e. Baptism is Not salvation
f. The Lord’s Supper is Not salvation
g. Doing the best one can is Not the new birth
II. WHAT REGENERATION IS
a. A divine act brought about by the sovereign grace of God All of grace, Not of works; Rom 4:16, Titus 3:5, Eph 2:8-9
b. It is a radical change, a new creation Not remodeling or renovation but a new creature in Christ Jesus
III. THE NEW BIRTH IS INDISPENSABLE
- It is as essential to be born of the Holy Spirit to enter the spiritual life as it was to be born of the flesh to enter our physical life.
- The Lord regenerates one “as he is” without consideration of anything else
- New birth produces good works; makes us want to live the Christian life
- These are the words that fell from the lips of the Son of God:
“You must be born again”. It is necessary; it is indispensable; it is imperative; it cannot be avoided if one is to be saved.
IV. THE MYSTERY OF THE NEW BIRTH
- Compared to wind, we cannot see it, but witness it’s effects.
- Like the radio, we cannot see what is happening, but still experience it
** The Spirit comes into the dead soul of man and causes him to see his need of salvation; he is awakened to his need for divine help; he calls
upon God out of a broken heart, then the divine Spirit imparts to him soul salvation and new life, which is regeneration.
- As in the creation, the Holy Spirit moves on the chaotic darkness of our lost soul, then order and spiritual life comes forth.
- We depart the family of satan and enter the family of God.
V. THE MEANS OF THE NEW BIRTH
- The gospel of Christ is the means of the new birth, Rom 1:16/Jn 3:14-16
- Believing Jesus is THE Christ brings regeneration to the believer
- NOT Christ and baptism; Christ and Lord’s Supper; Christ and Church
VI. THE BASIS OF THE NEW BIRTH
- Paul had much self-righteousness, but No regeneration; Phil 3:4-7
- Regeneration is by: The Blood; Grace; Repentance; Faith in Christ
** Man was lost by doubting God, he is saved by trusting Him
VII. THE RESULTS OF THE NEW BIRTH (12 items given)
- Immediate deliverance from sin, John 3:18 and John 5:24
- Delivered from servitude to satan, to fit subjects for Kingdom, Jn 3:5-7
1. What is regeneration Not?
2. What is regeneration?
3. Can one be saved without the new birth?
4. Explain the mystery of the new birth.
5. What is the means of the new birth?
6. What is the basis of the new birth?
7. What is the gospel?
8. What does the gospel have to do with the new birth?
OPTIONAL WRITING ASSIGNMENT
In three pages or less, explain the results of the new birth
Audio File: https://fisherofmenbaptistic.sermon.net/main/main/21587982
PDF File: https://fisherofmenbaptistic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/9.-Chapter-9.pdf