“Resurrection” means rising again, to rise again from the dead; a springing into new life and freshness. Occurs no less than forty times in New Test.
“Raised” is used 35 times in reference to the resurrection.
-The Resurrection of the Dead is a fundamental doctrine of Christian Faith.
-The raising of the dead is everywhere ascribed to Christ. Represented as last work to be taken by Him in His great work of redemption, Rom 8:23.THERE ARE THREE KINDS OF RESURRECTIONS SPOKEN OF IN THE SCRIPTURES – WILL ADDRESS TWO OF THESE
Spiritual Resurrection: (Scriptural is a typo) This takes place in regeneration.
-All die in Adam. When we are saved, we are made alive in Christ. Every time a soul is saved, there is a passing from “death” unto “life”, John 5:24, Eph 2:1.
Material or Bodily Resurrection: Our bodies die a physical death. The Bible teaches that all will be resurrected, some to life and some to damnation, John 5:29
Resurrection vs Restoration: Often we find Study Bibles and Commentators who confuse resurrection and restoration. The Lord established His Kingdom with the Jew, later took it from them and gave it to the Gentiles. There is a day coming when both will be united in the Lord’s Kingdom when the fullness of the Gentiles be come in, Rom 11:1 – 32 and Ezek 37:1 – 11. Here is the restoration of the Jew
-Also, those who rose when the Lord was crucified and the child Elisha raised.
THE DOCTRINE OF THE RESURRECTION
This doctrine was held by both OT and NT Saints.
-Enoch believed in the resurrection and return of saints with the Lord, Jude 14-15
-Abraham was willing to offer Isaac by belief in the resurrection, Heb 11:18-19
-Consider what Job has to say, Job 14:10-15 and Job 19:25-27
-1 Sam. 2:6; Ps. 17:15; Isa. 26:19, and Dan 12:2-3.
Doctrine of the Resurrection Assured by the Lord Jesus Christ
1) By Reference to the Old Testament: verses in the New Testament which refer to the Old Testament – Matt 22:31-32; Mark 12:26-27; and Luke 20:37
2) As Recorded in the Gospels: Luke 14:14; John 5:28-29; John 6:39-40; John 11:23-25
3) By Prophesying His Own Resurrection: Matt 17:9; Mark 8:31; Mark 10:29-31
The Universal Resurrection Assured.
-That is, both the saved and unsaved will be raised.
1) He called it by several different names: a) Resurrection of life, John 5:29,
b) Resurrection of the last day, John 6:39; c) Resurrection of the just, Luke 14:14
2) Saints are to be rewarded: Luke 14:14 and Matt 16:27
3) The Wicked shall also be resurrected: John 5:29 and Acts 24:15
THIRTEEN RESURRECTION INCIDENTS
-I believe the vast majority of what is taught under this heading more
appropriately fits under the heading of Restoration.
-Restoration: The act of replacing in a former state; Recovery; renewal of health
There Are Two Resurrections Taught in the Scriptures
These two statements are provided in order to encourage study. Many good, solid brethren have diverse opinions on this topic. It should be studied while allowing others to do the same without criticism.
1. The First Resurrection: Spoken of in Revelation 20:5-6. These verses refer to something that takes place before the 1000 years in which the devil will be cast into the bottomless pit. “Blessed and Holy” are those who have part in this resurrection. They shall reign with the Lord during this 1000 year period.
2. The Second Resurrection: Spoken of in Revelation 20:12-15. These verses refer to something that takes place after the 1000 years in which all the dead stand before God. Those who were Not found written the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire where death and hell shall be cast. All, both small and great shall be judged at this time according to their works. This does Not say that they will be judged “according to their salvation”.
HOW WE MAY KNOW THERE IS A RESURRECTION
-We know our bodies shall be raised because the Lord Jesus Christ said, “I am the resurrection and the life”. In as much as He was raised from the dead, we have full assurance that He will also raise us from the dead.
FROM DB RAY’S ARTICLES OF FAITH
Article XV. The Resurrection
Baptists believe that there will be a resurrection of the dead (which means the resurrection of the body), both of the just and the unjust. The bodies of the righteous will come forth unto the resurrection of life and the bodies of the wicked will come forth unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:29.
FROM 1974, 43rd SESSION OF OLD CALIFORNIA STATE ASSOCIATION
A permanent resolution was adopted by the messengers as follows,
“We recommend that our churches “Do Not” make a test of fellowship in the Association out of doctrines that individual Missionary Baptist have
differed on through the years, doctrines such as: Election; Split Rapture; Elements of the Lord’s Supper; The Kingdom Question, Pre, Mid, or Post Tribulation. But that we continue to base our fellowship upon a true church, scriptural baptism, restricted communion, the virgin birth, plan of salvation, etc.”
OPTIONAL WRITING ASSIGNMENT
In three pages or less, use the scriptures to explain what you believe about the resurrection of the dead.
Audio FIle: https://fisherofmenbaptistic.sermon.net/main/main/21607584
PDF File: https://fisherofmenbaptistic.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Chapter-15.pdf